Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MIL Quilt

I received a comment about the quilt for my mother-in-law and wanted to respond. Thank you very much for the advice. This quilt is not supposed to be a special quilt. It is to be a bright and happy way to welcome her to a new home. The fabric is not high quality as I know that it will be washed many times. If I have the opportunity to make another quilt when this one wears out I will be pleased. It will show that she loves and uses the quilt which is my intent.

Just the same the advice is wise for a quilt that would become an heirloom.

We are fortunate to have many quilts in her family that have been carefully taken care of. The even survived a major flood in 1997 when the Licking River in Falmouth, KY covered the house she was renting with muddy water for almost a week. The quilts had been layered on a bed in her 2nd bedroom so there was almost no wear. We washed them two or three times on a gentle cycle and the mud came out. We did not allow them to dry before the first wash. We were very lucky. Most of them are crazy quilts and they look as good as they did before the flood.

1 comment:

swooze said...

I am glad you were able to save those quilts. Would love to see pics of them.

I think your quilt thoughts are sound. I tell my mother use her quilts...I can always make more.