Saturday, March 12, 2011

A Mountain Quiltfest -- Pigeon Forge, TN

Well, I finally made it to Quiltfest. What a great time.

Monday I signed in at the Pigeon Forge Convention Center (PFCC).
Tuesday I had a class with Sally Collins -- Flower Basket.
Wednesday I had a class with Melinda Davis -- Ohio Star
Thursday I checked out the quilt show at the Music Row Convention Center (MRCC).
Friday I had a class with Sally Collins -- My Stars.
Today I am recovering.
Sunday we head home.

The classes were fantastic.

I learned how to use the Square in a Square ruler and got the second edition of the SnS book as well as two books free about the inventor of the ruler. I am working on a scrappy Ohio Star quilt top.

In Sally Collins classes I found out my weaknesses in quilting. I need to be more accurate in my seam allowances and not to accept a single thread width error. I also found out how to avoid these errors by measuring and validating every seam before continuing to the next seam.

I can find SnS uses in the miniature quilts that Sally teaches and shows in her collections.l

There are many pictures for me to post, but I cannot load the pictures onto this computer so will have to wait until I get home to post them.

There was an excellent piece of advice that I got from Sally Collins. She chooses fabrics for color combinations and then picks gradient colors from the fabric to determine what she will use in the next quilt top she is planning. She also uses pictures from nature; the example she had was a picture of yellow roses. This may be a way to start my quilts in the future instead of having someone else pick out my fabrics for me.

My sewing machine and quilt supplies are already in the car for the trip home. Today is DH's day totally. He hasn't had much attention from me this week and I need to change that!

Have a great day.

No comments: