Tuesday, April 22, 2008

ESA/St Jude Retreat

WOW what a weekend! It was great. It is amazing what 46 quilters can complete when we have no responsibilities. My husband asked me what I did and I told him I sewed the entire time. He couldn't comprehend why I would want to go away to sew. I told him the interruptions at home included two dogs, a husband, cooking, cleaning, responding to his questions, shoping, visiting his mother, responding to his needs...you get the idea.

I finished a baby quilt top out of 3" squares. Just used a solid pale yellow and a white fabric with bunnies and teddy bears on it. This will be machine quilted by a friend and then finished with a border that I haven't figured out yet. The quilt will be going to a maternity hospital in Alaska. They fly in the mother's four to six weeks before their due date and fly them back home after the baby is ready to travel. Our small group, Piecemakers, from the Ohio Valley Quilters Guild (OVQG) try to send about 30 quilts twice a year to have ready for each baby.

My next project was not quilting by any means. I was given the great honor of sewing the Cub Scout badges on my 7 year old grandson's vest. I only have 1/2 of the side of the third patch to go and I will deliver it to him. How exciting is that!?

My main project for the weekend got slowed down by the fact that I left one of the materials at home...but I did what I could and will continue to work on it until it is done.

I had several other projects for just if, but they didn't take up much space and I never got around to them. I did overpack.

Guess what. I ran into a fellow Janiac. If you don't know what the Dear Jane quilt frenzy is about google it and you will see tiny little 4 1/2 inch squares that have as many as 25 pieces in each one. Take Jane and maniac and you have a Janiac.

Although I don't like raffles, I did purchase tickets with the knowledge that if I didn't "win" anything the money would be going to a good cause: St. Jude's Hospital. I had 10 winning tickets and came home with so many fabrics, notions and patterns I won't have to go to my LQS for a long time...well maybe a week or two.

I definitely encourage you to see if you would like to go to this quilt retreat. I am definitely going back!

Karen

No comments: