Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Charity Quilts Donated

At Guild last night I turned in the two finished quilts and the two finished tops for the Alaska Maternity clinic. I returned all the fabric that I had intended to use for additional quilts for the Alaska Maternity clinic as well. I am sorry that I will not longer be able to make quilts for this worthwhile charity. I love making the small quilts and thinking about the newborn babies that will have a blankie to love.

My membership in Guild has been renewed. I was not able to stay for the entire meeting, but my main goals were to turn in the charity quilts and pick up the Sew to Win block for the November meeting. The winner of the October Sew to Win was so excited when her name was called. I was very happy for her. Even if I didn't win, I know how to make the blocks and can make one for my self. That is the advantage of being involved in the Sew to Win process. The November block is a pine tree with HST along the edges. Thangles were included in the package.

This will be another learning experience for me. I use the method of adding 7/8" to the finished HST and making a grid of 3 by 4 square the enhanced size. Then I sew along diagonal lines between the squares and created 24 HST without having to sew on a small piece of fabric along the bias. The HST do need to be trued up to the correct size and there is some waste, but the finished project makes the loss of fabric easier to accept.

This last weekend I made 240 HST triangles for "Navajo Tears" along with socializing at the retreat in 1 1/2 days and started putting the blocks together. My next learning experience will be making QST (quarter square triangles). My heart almost quakes.

I have the NICU quilt top layered and basted. It is ready for quilting and binding. My deadline for this quilt is Sunday, October 19. We will be making another pattern for the NICU. Wonder what pattern they will choose to teach us.

After guild I continued to unpack from the retreat. I have almost everything stored or in place to continue to work on my projects. I have so many projects that are scheduled for Christmas gifts that I will be busy all the time.

Have a nice and blessed day.

No comments: