Tuesday, August 12, 2008

History strikes again

Yep, I didn't go to the group meeting. Shame on me!

I continued to work on the baby Trip Around the World and cut one piece of the sewn together strips 1/2 inch too long. Just means that I have one less row to fudge with. I have been taking pictures as I go along. Once I figure out how to add pictures to my blog you will be able to watch as I go.

I have started to read one of the three books I bought through Amazon dot com about setting up a sewing room / studio. Looks like I have my work cut out for me. First I have to literally get every piece of furniture and all knick knacks out of the way and start measuring the walls, windows, fireplace and sliding glass doors so I can diagram the layout. I think I may have to throw away a love seat that I have had since 1982. It's in poor shape and I don't have the couch that went with it any more so I won't be too much of a pull on the heart strings.

After I finally get everything cleared out I have to figure where to put my 7 (yes seven) sewing machines. I could keep the one for traveling in it's case, but it is the most modern of all my machines. I will have to think about it. I have purchased several different storage containers and other things to make this studio my own. The Dollar Store and sales at JoAnn's are making this an easy transition.

This evening I think I will plan on spending one hour working on the family room and then reward myself with some more work on the quilt top. I would like to get it finished before the 21st so that I can give it to one of my friends who has a long arm and has offered to layer and quilt my tops for charity. Oh, I do so want my own quilting frame.

I wonder if Uncle Sam will hand out some more money for fuel surcharges and what my IRS refund will be next spring. Maybe I will have enough to get the machine to go with the frame. I am easy to please and don't need the top of the line machine. I requested several books from the inter library loan service in Ohio on long arm machines. One of them even tells you how to set up your own business.

Well, maybe after I retire I can supplement our income with quilting. Who would think I would ever want to go back into business on my own? I have been fighting with DH for years because he wants to start up some kind of business. After two failures in our own businesses I didn't ever plan to do that again. But, with only myself to contend with I might even consider it. We will have to see what the future brings.

No comments: