Thursday, September 11, 2008

Alaska Baby Quilt #2

The Alaska Baby Quilt Trip Around the World #2 has been layered and pin basted. This morning I am wearing Neosporin on my left thumb and middle finger. Only two actual cuts, but lots of mini scratches in the upper layers of the skin. Luckily the left thumb is not used for touch typing, but the right thumb is used for the space bar.

Enough of my injuries.

DH had a good day yesterday. He mowed the lawn in the front and back of the house. It looks really nice since it is about 8 inches shorter than it was. I am amazed that my neighbors hadn't complained. During the winter one of them actually shoveled the drive and walk way for us. We have wonderful neighbors and I thank them for all the help!

I have another quilt I want to layer and baste tonight. It is a NICU quilt that started my walk down the road of Trip Around the World. I have the perfect backing fabric for it and I am thinking about reverse quilting by using the backing fabric as the pattern for the quilting. The bobbin thread will quilt the top and be totally different from the pattern of the fabric. I will have to mull over this idea and look at the top and fabric before trying this. I do not want to practice a new machine quilting skill on as important a quilt as this is. At the same time it would be a wasted opportunity.

The house cleaning continues to be one item at a time and it is starting to show. How nice.

Hurricane Gustav was declared a catastrophic loss, but our company was not hard hit so we did not set up cat loss reporting for it. Now we may have to deal with Hurricane Ike. Time to watch and see what it brings to the company. It is hard to see large losses both for the insured that we help and for the company itself in these hard economic times. We are fortunate to have good investment gurus here at the company and that makes for a tighter bottom line (no pun intended) on the balance sheet. Our stock has been taking a roller coaster ride lately, but seems to be on the road to recovery. That is good because my pension and my personal stock in the company is the basis for retirement.

Have a great day, Karen